10/12/08

Kids are simply amazing


I can't believe how cute kids can be, how amazingly insightful, how stressful, how overwhelming in every sense of the word a child can make your life.

As everything in life, things don't work out as planned with my pregnancy. I was planning on natural child birth (at least that was the plan... I'm not totally blind to the fact that I have no idea, and may have changed my mind at the onset of the worst pain I had experienced in my life.) Things had progressed normally, and I went to my apts like I was supposed to. On the day of my apt exactly one week overdue Feb 20th - they checked things out to come back with this line (I'll never forget it) "I don't think that's a head, that's parts." ..."now we just have to see if they're fingers or toes." Okay so I knew that with every pregnancy there are numerous possibilities for things going well, not right. I knew that babies aren't always in the position they need to be in. However - I had been told for several weeks that she looked good, and was in the right position. Had i not been told that several times, I would have kept that more in my mind. So they do an ultrasound, and yup... pronounced her a footling breech. She was standing upright. Since I was already having small contractions, and already a week overdue, they refused to try to turn her and scheduled us for a C section the next morning.

Surgery went without a hitch, and she was born with no complications. The nurses called her the 'beautiful baby' No joke, I would hear them in the halls asking each other, "have you seen the beautiful baby?" I was so proud. But my beautiful little baby wanted more than that already. People would hold her and tell her she was pretty or beautiful, and she'd cry - unless you added that she was smart too ;-) Gotta love that...


Now that her father and I are divorced, and I don't have her all the time, I realize how strong a parents' love for a child is. I've never experienced an emotion that strong. And there's nothing that matters as much as being able to provide for your child. There's no hope, like the hope that she become a strong, confident, happy, successful adult.


I'm not saying she's not difficult. On the contrary, if she wasn't so dang smart, I might be able to pull one over on her here and there, but you know, it's okay. Don't get me wrong... I'm worried about the future...lol but as long as she has good morals and values, she'll make good choices. I guess that's all I can ask...


No comments: